Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Build Your Own Wind Powered Generator

Everyone is looking for ways to lower their utility bills, and building your own wind powered generator is a great way to accomplish this goal. Wind is abundant, clean, cheap and easy to harness.

You do not have to spend thousands of dollars on a commercial wind generator...you can build your own for under $100. Yes, you can build your own wind powered generator for under $100.00 and create more than 1000 watts of electricity from the wind.

I have built two of these generators and am currently generating nearly 3000 watts of power that I store in batteries and use to run my home office and various DC components like my pond pump and walkway lights.

I'm building a generator to handle the pool pump this summer because the pool pump uses a lot of electricity and if I can cut that bill down I'll be mighty happy.

The fact that I'm a woman and can build these generators myself should clue you in on how easy this is to do. I'm comfortable with that statement because there are some things men are just better at than women...mechanics and building things is one of them.

My daughter and I built our generator in about two weeks and from parts we got locally. We used our feminine wiles to convince the owner of a shop in a nearby industrial park to give us his old forklift batteries for free. His regular maintenance schedule replaces these batteries every five years but most will last fifteen years or more!

I did have to order the DC motor but it only cost around $15.00 and I know if I was willing to look in the junkyard, I could have found one for a buck or two. Treadmill motors make great generators!

I looked on the internet for plans and of course being the frugal kind of gal that I am I tried to get those plans for free...bad idea. Everything I got for free was absolute junk!

I ended up buying a set of plans that were extremely affordable and covered a whole lot more than just building the wind generator. They covered building and erecting the tower, every aspect of the electrical side of the equation and where to get all the parts as cheaply as possible. In fact it was their idea about where to get the batteries!

Energy prices are not going down anytime soon and the power company and local government make a great deal of money on us poor folks trying to just keep the lights on. Everything is getting more expensive and if there is a way to cut some of those expenses, you ought to jump on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment